Healthy Futures: Health, environmental change and adaptive capacity; mapping, examining & anticipating future risks of water-related vector-borne diseases in eastern Africa
· What are the environmental factors determining distribution and activity of the relevant vectors and pathogens in eastern Africa?
· To what extent are outbreaks in the three target VBDs also a reflection of socio-economic conditions, including migration, form of settlement and conflict?
· To what extent have these influencing factors varied in the documented past and what have been the disease impacts of these variations?
· To what extent does the actual distribution of transmission and outbreak of the three target diseases match the potential distribution, and what factors appear to determine the difference?
· How are the transmission and outbreak of the three target diseases likely to vary according to internationally accepted scenarios of environmental conditions?
· How is the spatial interaction of the risk of disease transmission and outbreaks amongst highly heterogeneous socio-economic conditions, cultures and communities likely to influence vulnerability to disease impacts?
· What are the main barriers restricting the abilities of health and veterinary services to respond to warnings of heightened risk of a disease outbreak, and how might these barriers be best overcome?
· What are the implications for other parts of Africa and for Europe of predicted changes in the distribution and emergence of the three target VBDs in the study area?